Too much information


I'm not a girly girl. My natural state is scruffy. My nails are shocking and hair removal is patchy at best. Sometimes I consider you know, making an effort and booking in somewhere to have everything done. But then I get distracted by the garden or television or by some harebrained project and forget. I guess I present OK when it really matters, job interviews, big events and the like. However I do have one or two small vanities. One is my hands. I always wear dishwashing and gardening gloves and slather then with moisturiser. But that is really about comfort rather than looks because they hurt if I don't.

My other vanity is my hair. I have been going grey for more than ten years and I hate it. When I see other women of about my age with stylish greying haircuts, I am awash with admiration. Because on the whole, I am for the whole idea of natural and graceful aging. Wearing your years with pride. So I contemplate getting it all cut off and going back to my natural colour which is sort of a dark brown with lots of grey at the temples. But I just can't do it. It doesn't help that I've dyed my hair for most of my adult life.

I used to use chemical dyes which give a much more predictable result but since I started wanting to have a child, I've been using henna. With mixed results. I would like a colour that was less red, more dark brown. So I mix the red henna with black and brown henna, which are not real henna, because true henna only comes in red. But it's the red henna that covers the grey, so now I have dark brown hair with glowing red temples. And now that I have a child, I can't go back to chemical dyes without running the risk of my hair turning green or breaking off. Or is that some sort of urban myth?

Anyway, I'm sure you all wanted to know that about me. I can hear G in my head saying, oh but the mystery, the mystery. Mystery schmystery, October self portrait challenge is all about showing our imperfections and being like, not afraid. Go on, go have a perve at everyone else's imperfections.

11 comments:

  1. That is a lot of info in one post!! Thanks for sharing ... anything left to reveal next Tuesday, or will you be ready for a new challenge theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful face, you have the most perfectly formed lips, that any Hollywood Starlet would lust for.
    Your face seems searching though, but I suppose I think all sorts of similar things about my own captured expressions.
    Great post, I admire your honesty, I love your photograph. Can't help you on the Henna/dye thing though - I know nuffink !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could call a hair salon and ask about the henna vs. chemical stuff.
    Cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this point there are just two words:
    Hair Salon.
    Having done every kind of dye (Home, salon, henna, weaves, frosts, perms..etc)
    When it gets like this, a professional is your best bet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I meant to look so pensive, it was sort of a fun morning. But there's something quite odd in taking your own photo with your head in a shower cap with henna oozing down your neck.
    A year or so ago, when I had my hair cut, I did talk to the hairdresser about switching to chemical dyes but she was dubious as it had been freshly hennaed. I really need to find a good local hairdresser...

    ReplyDelete
  6. now i remember why i gave up the dye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't think the dyes will work on hair with henna. i stopped dying my hair when i got pregnant. i like NOT thinkin about my roots, but miss the prettier fake color. such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear friend exclaimed to me the other day "Oh My Goodness! You've got greys!"I'm 35 with 2 kids and a hubby that works loooong hours...what did she expect? I've thought about going grey gracefully as well, but my hair is a nightmare at the best of times. If I was to throw salt and pepper hair into the mix...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm struggling with grey issues, too. I thought I was cool with it, but they seem to have multiplied every time I turn my back. Must...remain...strong...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I am completely grey. For most of the past year I've let the colour grow out and tried to celebrate the 'real' me. Ha. I felt so drab and old when one of the children drew a picture of me with silver hair.
    So off I went to the hairdresser for the first time in about 11 months, and I am now blondeandcopper again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My experience - yes it is an urban myth! I went from Henna to dyes using streaks (or as my hairdresser called them in the olden days - flying colours). Using 3 or more different shades of red, brown, black, blond you can be as subtle or wild as you choose and it introduced a variation in my hair colour that allowed the greys to blend in without taking over. The root problem is also greatly dimished, especially if the hairdresser is talented and keeps the streaks below the part line. If you want more coverage have more streaks, if you want to gradually fade them out have fewer and fewer. I am now almost completely natural, but every now and then I go and have a few streaks put in for old times sake.

    ReplyDelete