Too hot for october

The current hot weather is making me anxious. I'm rushing to get ready for summer. I hadn't upacked all the summer clothes, shaved my legs or stocked up on icy poles. And that would be because it is only October. It's not even cup day yet, which to me is the traditional day for planting tomatoes and welcoming the gentle advent of summer. Yesterday when we walked over to mums for lunch, I was hatted, sunglassed and wearing a long sleeved cotton shirt.  Grace was comfortable under her purdah shadecloth in the stroller, chatting away, happy as larry as I battled the hot wind, breathing dust and pollen. When I drove home, I was extremely pleased to discover that the airconditioning still works and does not need to be regassed.  I hadn't even considered it yet. Just as I haven't had time to procure Grace any new summer clothes. However she seems to have only grown upwards so can still wear last years dresses, even if they are a little short.


The spring garden is shrivelling before my eyes and the seeds for the summer garden haven't even been planted yet. It's time to stop waiting for rain and plant them anyway.  I actually quite like summer, except when it is over 38C for days on end. My memory of childhood summers is that it was hot all the time and that there were always fires in the hills. I have a feeling that those memories are going to be relived this year. Back then it just seemed the way it was. I wonder whether it is really all the talk of climate change being here already that is making me so fearful and anxious, rather than the heat itself. Maybe I just have to get into the summer groove. Of course, I could be wrong and we could have a wet December and spend January wondering what happened to summer.


This week, on the two days I work, I've been commuting out to departmental headquarters in the burbs for training. Over an hours commute each way. Today I forgot my book and amused myself by trying to note down all the weed species I could see from the train window. These are the ones I could more or less identify.  Cotoneaster, pittosporrum, fig, ivy (several differnet sorts), shiny leaf plant (don't know the proper name), fennel, elm, pampas grass, cedrela/tree of heaven (hard to tell from a moving train), eucalypts of various sorts, poplar, peppercorn, broom, oak, wattle, palms, blackberry, rose, prickly pear, budlia, watsonia, agapanthas, prunus, lantana, geranium. There were also various grasses and ground cover weeds and a number of plants that I know by sight but can't identify beyond something vague like, "the suckering tree with the grey underleaf". Some of these plants are obviously quite desirable when wanted in a garden and might be better than nothing next to the railway tracks. It occured to me, and not for the first time, that a lot of plants I have in my garden because they are tough and adaptable to our sometimes dry, sometimes wet climate are, or could become, weeds.

1 comment:

  1. My gardener mother in law always says that "weeds are just plants growing in an inconvenient place". :)

    ReplyDelete