Sunday morning, getting up

Sunday is my morning to get Grace up, so G can have a bit of a sleep in if he wants. I still lie in bed as long as I possibly can, pretending that I'm asleep and can't hear the sounds of the small child babbling in her cot. Given that I get to have a bit of a sleep in most non-work mornings with a big one on saturday if I want, I think it's a bit lame if I don't do the sunday shift. Even if G doesn't really sleep in long. I think he just needs to feel that he can. So after porridge and early morning music on RRR, we headed up to Bi-Lo for the paper and baking supplies. Lots of other parents with small children in strollers cruising the aisles. Is this Sunday morning supermarket scene a new thing, or have I just noticed? We stopped to get a donut and I think Grace knows exactly what happens at the bakery, because the minute I took possession of the bag, her little hand reached out. I wonder how long it will be before not stopping at the bakery will cause a tanty. Hmm.

Coming through the front gate, I had yet another moment of front garden admiration. It's much dryer now than it was when I took that last photo. When I was moaning about the rain, can you believe? The other night I dreamt that I heard heavy rain on the tin roof and even got up to check, but nary a drop had fallen. Anyway, the front garden is holding up quite well and the iris have started to bloom. I don't think they get enough sun, water or attention for all of them to flower, but I quite like the randomness of it.



The morning baking project was a chocolate date meringue cake from Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion. I have the first edition and on the whole I love it. I refer to this book frequently for ideas on say, yet another way to cook broad beans. Some pages are obviously loved over and over. But I have to say, some recipes are less than great. And this was one of them. I chose the recipe because it was flourless. My sister Betty doesn't handle gluten well and the cake was for a family lunch. Maybe it needed to sit in a cooling oven for longer and then sit overnight as per the recipe, but even then I don't think it wouldn't have been a great cake.

I don't mind that it fell apart a bit as I topped it with some slightly sweetened vanilla ersatz marscapone. It was quite edible, but just didn't do it for me. When I initially read the recipe, I couldn't imagine the ingredients melding well. But being such a simple recipe, I wanted to believe that it would be fabulous, so I cast aside my doubt. Never mind, there's a world of other flourless cakes to explore.


Next time I might try a semolina free version of a Sri Lankan love cake or maybe a lemon, polenta and almond cake. Or maybe even reworking this idea, maybe with cocoa instead of chocolate. I think I read a recipe like that years ago when I was doing some fat free diet. Anyway, I enjoyed making the cake, what with G playing me Beatles vinyl (the double white album) and Grace napping and then a read of the paper once the cake was in the oven.

9 comments:

  1. What a to-die for day, with fab fotos to boot ! Cooking and music so go together, don't they ? Also a wine .. although I suppose it was too early, being the morning an' all .... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weekend account makes me jealous. So relaxing, scrumptious and lazy... I'm waiting for life to slow down a little here. Maybe in a few years???

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a lovely day. Like em I am a tad jealous.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Around these parts (New Delhi) cakes like that are none-too-easy to come by, and now I've gone and drooled all over me keyboard. Oddly enough, one thing we do get plenty of, thanks to the wonders of the internet, and I guess a long-term, healthy committment to subscription fees, is Triple R. I listen every day at work, and no one even knows!
    Fun post, thanks for the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about you, but that cake LOOKs delicious. And I want your garden. But I'm way too lazy to ever maintain anything to look that beautiful, and bountiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh look I liked it so much I said it twice.
    Sorry ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake looks so yummy and homey. And the roses ... Pierre de Ronsard and Graham Thomas???

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake looks so yummy and homey. And the roses ... Pierre de Ronsard and Graham Thomas???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what sort of roses they are, they just sort of presented for the photo opportunity. I do like roses but have never had any success with them, probably because I tried to grow them in the shade.
    The cake was OK, but I didn't think the recipe lived up to its promise. The garden is amazing at the moment, we've been here so long now that that it's hitting a delightful sort of feral wonderland stage, especially in the front, without as much input from us as you would think.

    ReplyDelete