Make, unpick and make again

I've finally managed to get myself in front of the sewing machine again. Thought I'd start off with a project that Ive been meaning to tackle for ages, a new bag. With pockets for all my bits and enough room for a lunch and a thick novel, not to mention assorted Grace items. I've been working on the design for this bag for a while and last week during some particularly mind numbing policy training, sketched out some patterns.  I had all the material, some dark green leather I bought in the 80s, some lining, some seatbelt webbing for a strap and various bag fittings salvaged from other bags long gone. I sewed test patches with all the material I was going to use, up to five thicknesses of leather. I as surprised at how easy it was to sew. This will be a cinch, I thought. I can knock it off quickly and then start on a new outfit for me and Grace. Maybe in time for the big family reuninion thingo. Ha.
I finished the bag on time to take it to work on Friday. Size was good, the leather felt nice, the zip went in well. It looked OK from a distance. But I had made a hash of the lining. The pockets were too bulky and objects swam in them, kind of defeating the whole purpose. My phone was hard to reach, the zip was facing the wrong way and the stitching where the strap joined was just yucky, as was the some of the other stitching that showed.

So after much thought, I have taken it all apart, made a new lining and am looking at better ways to attach the strap. I decided that as this was going to be my everyday bag, I don't want to look at ugly stitching every time I use it. Too upsetting. Some imperfections in my sewing, I am quite happy to live with, but this was too much. I wish I had made a bag in that pattern out of some other material first. I might have worked out heaps of bugs and saved myself some time. So far it is going together OK. I just have to take my time and stop before I get tired and make lots of mistakes.  Next project is going to be something easy, something I know how to do already.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your sewing machine goes through leather? I am jealous! I have a lovely piece of purple leather I've dreamed of making a bag with but I figure it's just never ging to happen...Good luck with mark II!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see photos! before and after perhaps? kudos on your patience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo of your sewing room. The light is exquisite (as are the paint swatches ...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! we have the same lovely Elna sewing machine! i read your post over on Wardrobe Refashion and as you're a fellow Melbourne mum, just had to say hi- hi!!

    ReplyDelete