I've finally managed to get myself in front of the sewing machine again. Thought I'd start off with a project that Ive been meaning to tackle for ages, a new bag. With pockets for all my bits and enough room for a lunch and a thick novel, not to mention assorted Grace items. I've been working on the design for this bag for a while and last week during some particularly mind numbing policy training, sketched out some patterns. I had all the material, some dark green leather I bought in the 80s, some lining, some seatbelt webbing for a strap and various bag fittings salvaged from other bags long gone. I sewed test patches with all the material I was going to use, up to five thicknesses of leather. I as surprised at how easy it was to sew. This will be a cinch, I thought. I can knock it off quickly and then start on a new outfit for me and Grace. Maybe in time for the big family reuninion thingo. Ha.
So after much thought, I have taken it all apart, made a new lining and am looking at better ways to attach the strap. I decided that as this was going to be my everyday bag, I don't want to look at ugly stitching every time I use it. Too upsetting. Some imperfections in my sewing, I am quite happy to live with, but this was too much. I wish I had made a bag in that pattern out of some other material first. I might have worked out heaps of bugs and saved myself some time. So far it is going together OK. I just have to take my time and stop before I get tired and make lots of mistakes. Next project is going to be something easy, something I know how to do already.