ch-ch-changes

Spring seems to be changing into summer very fast this year. I was quite shocked when I caught the tram to town today and gazed out at Royal Park. Some trees haven't got all their leaves yet and already the grass around them is browning off and you can see the shimmer of heat in the distance. Some of the gum trees are looking water stressed. Our backyard is still reasonably lush, even if the grass has lost that soft watery green. However, you can feel the soil is hardening underneath. Thanks to the layer of mulch, the beds still have moisture in them. But I think it is time to think about watering systems and what we will water and what we won't. Mostly our garden is made up of fairly tough stuff, it's survival of the fittest, as I really only water the vegie patch and newly planted seedlings. Even these, I tend to underwater. So plants that don't cope, don't make it through the tough years.

One plant that has made it through many, many years is the Cedrela. I always thought it was spelled cedarella, so my searches on the internet for more information were fruitless. However this afternoon, I spent some time in a book shop looking through books on trees and am pretty sure these trees are Cedrela. If they aren't they are likely to be Tree of Heaven which is a weed. Anyway both plants come from China. What I didn't know was that Cedrela is prized for its wood and used for food and medecine. I hope this is what it is. We certainly don't need anymore weed trees in our garden.



My nan gave me a sucker of this tree about fifteen years ago. G curses this plant because it sends suckers up between the gaps in the concrete path. This offends his sense of order eventhough it is easy enough to run them over with the lawn mower or with a spade. Not that I would bother. In a perverse way, I quite like plants that can shift concrete. Reminds me of that Peter Carey short story, Exotic Pleasures in which an alien pair of birds destroy or take over the earth by sowing seeds that will only grow in concrete and bitumen. Turning roads and cities into dense jungle. Anyway, I love the cedrela because of its elegant slender stem and because in spring the new leaves are the most amazing bright pink. Then over a couple of weeks they turn to golden yellow and then to green. And all colours in between. It is quite fun to watch. Kind of like autumn in reverse. And they are really really tough.





I wish I'd taken some full length shots of the trees as they look lovely next to the ti-tree along the fence.

Another thing, over the next couple of days, I'm planning to redo the design for muppinstuff. The wintery woollen banner is starting to look a bit itchy. So if you happen to lob in and things look a bit odd, that will be because I am still fiddling and faffing.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, I did not know the Cedrela by name .. but I know those leaves .. will look into it. I am always 'researching garden', and so beautiful pics really do help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god, thanks for delurking! I've just had a very happy half hour here reading your 100 things (I have lived in this house for 8 months and have washed the kitchen floor precisely once) and about your garden and so on. And, I went to Margaret Atwood and read the first page of Handmaid's Tale because of you. Wow! I love finding a likeminded blogger, especially another Melburnian.
    I live quite close to where you grew up so if you look around my blog (I'm not sure how long you've been lurking but I see I'm on your sidebar) you'll see that view that makes you homesick.
    Oh, and Jackie French's book Backyard Self Sufficiency changed my life.
    I've bookmarked you. I shall return.

    ReplyDelete