Wip#4, A little doll and thinking about squares

I thought that I wouldn't get to sew at all this week due to an anxiety laden return to paid employment. But the sky hasn't fallen in, Grace was fine and the household routine hasn't collapsed.  I'm not that great a housekeeper anyway, and now there's even less pressure to excel at it. It is only two days a week and maybe I'll even like the break from nappies and washing and never being able to get anything done. And I'll get paid, something which I probably can't afford to overlook.

When my anxiety about returning to work started to get the better of me, I decided that I needed to watch more television. And that I needed some hand sewing to further centre me. So I decided to to follow the steiner doll tutorial from sooz. I was pretty slapdash to begin with, drawing the outline straight onto the material with a dressmakers pencil, altering as I cut. The materials used were from what I had hanging around, an almost felted jumper, some material from the blanket I'm making, scraps from old t-shirts, ends of embroidery cotton. I found I couldn't leave the face featureless, it spooked me out too much, so ended up adding simple eyes and mouth at the last moment.  My favourite feature is the hair, made from an old pillow underlay. It just came to me, stitching away, immersed in my doll and Lost.

I'm not sure whether she could be considered a true steiner doll and there's a lot I'll do differently next time (like include a neck) but this little doll (or should I say troll?) was one of the most pleasureable and satisfying projects I've done in a long time. The smallness, the feeling of wool in my hands, the lack of need for perfection, the making it up as I go along. We haven't named her yet, but Grace has already claimed the little troll doll as one of her own; to be scattered and posted out the cat door and lost and picked up and carried and and deposited in all manner of strange places.

Earlier in the week, I sewed some squares of the wagga rug inspired patchwork blanket thingy that I've been making forever. I still haven't reached the stage of having all big squares, but I have enough to lay out on the table and consider how I might put them together.









I've never done patchwork before and I'm learning alot. When I cut the squares I was, like I am quite often, a bit slap dash. Cutting one piece off another, instead of using a set of pieces with the seam allowance factored in. Now they are being pieced in a crazy patch manner. When I was joining the smaller pieces, I was quite random, now that the pieces are larger, I would like to have rules for how they go together. So there is a sense of order. Due to the randomness of the early pieces and that each dressing gown yielded differing types and amounts of pieces, the rules may take some thought. And they might not be obvious to anyone but me.

1 comment:

  1. I showed Georgia the picture and the first thing she said was "I like the hair!" What a sweet little dolly.

    ReplyDelete