Planting garlic

Yesterday was quite sunny & I managed to get out in the garden for an hour or so and plant some more garlic. I've decided after much reading and thinking to plant the garlic in a perennial bed, rather than in the four bed rotation used for annual vegetable crops. My hope is that I will be able to harvest what I need, some to dry, some to replant and that I will be able to leave some to flower for decoration and seeds.


I bought the garlic to plant from the supermarket rather than the nursery. Even though it comes from Argentina, it is cheaper and a type of garlic I like. I'm not a fan of the small white garlic. In my experience it doesn't grow well in Melbourne and when it comes to using it, all those small cloves are a pain to prepare. I like a large cloved, strong flavored garlic.

The last lot I planted from the supermarket about six weeks ago are doing well. I've heard that there's a small risk that imported garlic may not sprout as it may have been treated. We'll see.




The perennial garlic bed is in a mostly sunny spot next to an apple tree. Hopefully the garlic will assist the apple and help repel codling moth. Even if it doesn't, I can't imagine ever having too much garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment