Where did my weekend go?

Well, for a start I got to have a long long sleep on Saturday morning. I love Saturday-sleep-in day and think everyone should get one day a week when they are encouraged to sleep in, read in bed or some other similar luxury. Of course, because I stayed up very late on Friday night reading blogs & well, faffing, I didn't get quite as much sleep as I would have liked. Still it was lovely.

The the day slipped away from me and I rushed around like a mad thing because I had invited friends over for scrabble. The house needed to be whipped into some sort of order, I needed to buy food & I had to bake because I had promised cake. As it happened, I spent far to long at the supermarket chatting with sister Betty & her man Cam. I love bumping into people I know at the supermarket, it makes me feel like I live in a community. Doesn't happen often enough.

For refreshments I bought this cheapo Brie that is very close to its use by & some biscuits. I think I have bought most of the supermarkets stock of this batch of brie because it is so nice & ripe. Also bought olives, mandarins & avocado and the first reasonably priced winter strawberries from Queensland...














The smell of these strawbs was just incredible. They tasted pretty good too. And I bought stuff for the cake. Here's the recipe;

Dead easy chocolate cake

  • 1 1/3 self-raising flour
  • 5 tablespoons cocoa powder (Dutch process if possible)
  • 1 1/4 brown sugar
  • 125 butter, soft but not melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup of water

Preheat the oven to 180C, grease & line a 20cm round cake tin.

Place all ingredients in a bowl & beat with electric beaters on high for 2-4 minutes until pale & silky smooth.

Bake for 50-55 minutes or until done. Cool & ice or eat warm with cream.

Or be like us, ice warm AND eat with cream. I iced it with a tooth numbing icing made with icing sugar, cocoa, a little butter & water mixed to a thick consistency.   I got this recipe from The Age Sunday Life a couple of years ago & it is a consistent favourite. It's not the best ever chocolate cake & it certainly isn't a keeper. But it is as easy as a packet mix & much, much nicer, especially if you use good cocoa. I think this one didn't turn out as well as it has in the past because my small electric beaters are on their way out, & the mixture didn't really achieve aforesaid pale & silky consistency . But it was still quite edible.



Grace was very interested in the scrabble game & also loved the brie & stawberries. As for chocolate cake, well she had a little piece after her lentil & barley soup & was still shrieking after her bath! Talk about an exciting sugar high. Almost as exciting as my very convincing scrabble win. G is no longer reigning household scrabble & chess champion.

On Sunday morning I managed to get myself to the gym. Much groaning & many attempts to find an excuse not to go, but I did quite enjoy it once I was there. Attendence has been slipping as there are too many things I'd rather be doing. Still, another kilo has slipped away, despite the cake. G outdid himself on the domestic front & by the time I got back we were more or less ready to head over to my mum's to help her & stepdad shift plants to our house for a while. They're in the process of relocating to our side of town. Much lifting of heavy pots & cursing. I found myself mostly chasing or holding Grace down as mums house is not at all small child proof at the moment. It was so exhausting, I almost wanted to be shifting plants.

As is often the case, mum had lots of stuff to give me. Some toymaking books (on loan during the move), some new thermal underwear that was on sale & she's had around for ages, a new jumper for Grace & a toy that I instantly recognised from my own childhood.

I don't think I played with this clown much or it wouldn't be in such good condition (eventhough his clothes need a wash & iron). My favorite toy, a purple denim Eyeore, was loved to death & is no longer in existence.  Mum used to make these & other toys to sell & from all accounts did pretty well at it. She's looking forward to revisiting the toymaking when she has more time.

By the all time this was done & the washing bought in, it was tea time. I managed to get G to feed Grace & make dinner as I still hadn't had time to iron his work clothes. A good trade, I thought as there was much laundry shuffling to do. I am a bit obessessed by laundry at the moment & have been writing about it at Mrs Washalot .

I managed to get a little computer time before a late dinner spent watching Big Brother eviction. I know it's lame, I'm really too old for Big Brother , but I love this show. G says I go into a trance & won't let me watch it every night (it also clashes with the ABC news). Probably just as well. Then I flaked on the couch & watched The Society Murders which dramatised a shocking murder in Melbourne several years ago. I remember finding the case very sad when it was on the news. Although I love to see Australian drama on TV (rare treat these days), I found this story quite disturbing. Not really the relaxing TV I was after.

No comments:

Post a Comment